Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Freezing Foods

One great way to save money is by using your freezer. Stock up when things are on sale & freeze them. It is also a great time saver to prepare multiple meals to pull out of the freezer.

You can freeze just about everything. One rule I was always told, is that if you can buy it in the store frozen, it is okay to freeze, makes sense to me. However, there are a few things that just don't freeze well.

A few things I have heard never to freeze are eggs in the shell or canned meat. However, you may freeze eggs out of the shell, such as scrambled eggs. And once the meat is taken out of the can, it is okay to freeze.

In my experience, mayonaise based foods do not freeze well. Bananas can be frozen, but will be mush when thawed (this is just fine if you are baking with them).

I have successfully frozen-

Meat - both cooked & raw
fruits - I usually cut them up & freeze them in single portioned sizes.
veggies - both cooked & raw
Mashed potatoes - I have heard of others not having luck with mashed potatoes, but I've not had a problem, I freeze my garlic mashed potatoes that contain cream cheese & sour cream, I just put them in the oven for 1/2 an hour before serving, they taste just like they were freshly made.
bread - I like to buy my bread at the Bakery Outlet, I stock up & freeze.
homemade pancakes - I let them fully cool before freezing
homemade muffins
meatloaf - I premix it & freeze it uncooked.
sauces - spaghetti & fettucine
cooked noodles
casseroles
cookies
cheeses - I have only froze shredded.
Homemade bread & pizza dough

I freeze almost everything in freezer bags. Alot of things I will freeze in the snack sized bags & then place several of them in a gallon sized freezer bag.

Do you have an experience with something that you have frozen? Please share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment